13 Awesome Reasons To Eat Chia Seeds Every Day
Here are a heap of reasons to eat chia:
1. Chia is gluten free
2. It is super high in dietary fibre, making it great for digestion and healing digestion issues.
3. It contains 20% Omega 3 ALA, making it a super food for the brain and heart. Chia has eight times more Omega 3 than salmon!
4. It boasts 20% protein
5. The protein is a complete protein with all 8 essential amino acids
6. It is high in antioxidants (It has a four times higher ORAC value than blueberries)
7. Chia contains five times more calcium than milk
8. Chia contains seven times more vitamin C than oranges
9. It contains three times more iron than spinach
10. It contains twice the potassium content of banana
11. It is food for healthy skin, hair and nails
12. It has a positive impact balancing blood glucose levels (making it awesome for diabetics)
13. Chia makes a great egg replacement. Just combine with water to form a gel, and add it to recipes that call for egg.
HOW MUCH CHIA SHOULD WE EAT?
Nutritionists recommend that 15g/0.53oz (one tablespoon) of chia is consumed each day. Be sure to drink plenty of water as chia is very high in fiber.
HOW CAN WE EAT IT?
I eat chia seeds sprinkled on my rolled oats for breakfast, in my green smoothies, and in chia puddings like this.
You can also:
+ Sprinkle it raw onto almost any food
+ Add it to breakfast cereals, salads and soups
+ Add it to bread and muffin recipes
+ Mix with water or coconut water to form a thick gel
Click here to see some yummy chia recipes.
Buy chia seeds from your local organic or health food store, or online here.
WANT TO WIN SOME CHIA? COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED The wonderful people from the Australian grown chia company The Chia Co have given me 10 x 500g bags of chia seeds to giveaway. All you need to do to enter is leave a comment below and answer this question:
What is your favourite way to eat chia?
*Be sure to include your full name with your entry!
Positive affirmation for the day: The universe supports my life’s purpose, sending me everything I need to make it happen.
join the tribe
Join the green mo revolution! Subscribe to get Jess's updates & Green Mo Revolution e-book FREE with over 80 green smoothie recipes!