A teaspoon of apple cider vinegar each day will help keep the doctor away

Posted November 23, 2010

I was first introduced to apple cider vinegar (ACV, for short) after reading in a magazine that Fergie (Black Eyed Pea, not Duchess of York) takes a couple of teaspoons each day to assist weight loss. A body like Fergie by drinking apple cider vinegar? That is one bandwagon I was quick to jump on. While I’m still waiting for Fergie-like abs, I have been reaping the many other health benefits associated with including a little ACV in my diet. ACV has been touted for it many medicinal properties for yonks and it really is a cure-all remedy. These are just a few of the areas ACV is great for …

Detoxification
Being rich in natural minerals, vitamins and enzymes makes apple cider vinegar a great addition to any detox. The unique acids in apple cider vinegar can bind to toxins and help the body eliminate them more effectively. Apple cider vinegar can also help to stimulate circulation and aid detoxification in the liver. In ancient cultures ACV was often used to purify the blood. Another way apple cider vinegar aids detoxification is by breaking up mucus throughout the body and cleansing the lymph nodes to allow for better lymph circulation. A healthy lymphatic system can remove toxins from the cells in the body while improving immune system response.

Weight loss
Apple cider vinegar may aid in weight loss by stabilising the blood sugar for a longer period and helping to control the appetite. Try taking 1-2 teaspoons in water before each meal. This little trick may also help with diabetes. Don’t just rely on ACV to help you trim down though. It won’t work if your diet is rubbish. ACV should be an accompaniment to a healthy, balanced diet.

Digestion
Aiding digestion is possibly one of apple cider vinegar’s biggest claims to fame. It can help with common indigestion and gastrointestinal discomfort caused by certain foods and it is said to clear up chronic acid reflux when taken religiously with each meal.

Skin problems
Apple cider vinegar can be used as a topical astringent for acne prone skin, and some even report that taking ACV orally every day has helped clear their skin. Add a cup of apple cider vinegar and a cup of Epsom salts to a hot bath to draw toxins out through the skin and help jump start the cleansing process. This can also help relieve joint pain as well as skin conditions like eczema and acne.

Warts
Try this for a home wart removal remedy: Soak a cotton ball with apple cider vinegar and attach it to the wart site with a band aid. Leave overnight. Repeat each night until the wart disappears.

Warding off sickness
Apple cider vinegar devotees claim that this miracle elixir is one of the main reasons they are able to ward of common illnesses. This can most likely be chalked up to ACV’s unique blend of vitamins, minerals and enzymes. It also possesses antimicrobial and antiseptic properties.

How to take your apple cider vinegar …
Add 1-3 teaspoons of to a glass of warm water before each meal. You can also add it to hot water with a little honey and drink it as a tea. Apple cider vinegar is also great as a salad dressing when mixed with flaxseed oil and honey.

It’s important to buy an apple cider vinegar that is organic and unfiltered so that all of its nutritional value is in tact. We buy Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar (right). The hazy looking stuff that settles to the bottom is called “the mother” and it’s said to be the most nutritious part of the apple cider vinegar for its therapeutic benefits.

How do you take apple cider vinegar? Have you noticed its benefits?

Positive affirmation for the day: Today I will spend my mental energy wisely, on positive thoughts and developing ideas.

Life in the Valley says:

It was in the 70's when I first hear of Jr. Jarvis
I took my cider vinegar (Braggs) with a teaspoon of honey in a warm glass of water every morning…I have not done this in a few years . Thanks for the reminder, I'll start again straight way!! I KNOW it help me year ago!
Kathleen

Lauren says:

I love ACV! I take a spoonful as much as possible! :) Great info!

Denice says:

Too funny… I just purchased a bottle of ACV at the health food store. Same brand that you have pictured. I saw it at the check out counter, so picked it up to give it a try. Looks like I made a good choice! Thanks for posting this. :) XX

Anonymous says:

this is the most amazing website.each time i log on ,there is another health tip for me to try (which i take on immediately).i've lost alot of weight and feel better that i have in year. thanks wellness warrior.

Jess says:

It's my pleasure! That's so great to hear that you are feeling better from all this wellness stuff. Thanks for sending through such kind words.

Jess x

Dan says:

Apple cider vinegar truly does offer relief from an extensive list of conditions while also promoting weight loss and increasing your daily supply of energy, and it does so not by being any sort of magic bullet but simply by reinforcing the body’s own processes. The body is a remarkable thing, capable of building and repairing itself almost indefinitely. Unfortunately, our diets and habits don’t offer the body the nutrition and movement it needs to work optimally. Apple cider vinegar works to increase digestive efficiency, the flow of nutrition and waste throughout and out of the body, and the potency of all the body’s circulatory, digestive, immune, excretory, and other systems.
Daniel P. Kray
Author, “Apple Cider Vinegar: A Modern Folk Remedy” available from major retailers through Earth Clinic.

Linda says:

Apple cider can take out moles and warts due to its amazing properties.
I was also using this as part of my loosing weight program after gaining weight later on my pregnancy days. It really helped me a lot.
__
Linda L.

Praba says:

Linda,,I am also suffering from weight post pregnancy..pls tell me how to use ACV for weight loss…Iam planning to hit the gym along with healthy food habits…

Denise says:

Do you have to take it in warm water? I was thinking I could add it to my bottle of water for the day so I don’t have to remember to take it before each meal

Jess says:

Denise » The best way to have it is the way that is best for you! xx

Louise Heugh says:

Please advise as to where do I get this product and how to use as well as a healthy eating plan. My goal is to loose some weight this year.

Tammy says:

I use acv in my sons bath every night to treat his molluscum. It burns off the bumps over a period of time and helps to keep it from spreading. It doesn’t hurt him at all, unlike having the dr burn them off.
I drink a tsp before pouring the rest in his bath water. I’ve noticed my bloating is gone and my skin glows.

Hi Jess,

Thanks for the great post on Apple Cider Vinegar. I drink it in water each morning when I wake up and also use it in my salad dressings with coconut oil. I think once you get used to the overpowering taste you can appreciate all of the amazing health benefits it contains :)

I love the wellness warrior and I think it’s so admirable the way you are inspiring others with your journey of self healing.

Good luck with everything in 2013!

Gary Z says:

Hi Jess,

I have used Bragg’s ACV for a while now. I cut it with some spring water, fresh squeezed lemon and a huge helping of cayenne pepper. I don’t see you promoting cayenne (or green/black teas) anywhere yet, but I’m sure you do like them. That stuff is so good for you, too. I have also recently become aware of alkaline vs/ acid foods. Watermelon, lemons, etc. And what do you think of goat’s or sheep’s milk/meat from trusted sources? Thanks for your patience and dedication in spreading the healthy word. God bless.

Gary

AMY says:

Dear Jess,
this is a really amazing site(probably the best of all times!). you have helped it so much to improve my health, my wellbeing and generally to live a better life! you are so talented and so amazing!!!. thank you for all your tips, I will never forgive your help! keep it that way! thank y once more
Amy, cancer patient

AMY says:

*forget

Jes says:

Thank you, given it a go! :-)

RACHEL says:

Please is it save for a nursing mother… exclusive breast feeding, how save is it for my baby please???

Melissa says:

I just started taking ACV a few days ago for problems with recurrent swelling of the lymph nodes. Noticed a huge difference right away! No more stiff neck for me! :)

Cheryle Werner says:

where do you buy the mother Brogg apple cider vingear from in Australia?

Most organic and health food stores have Bragg’s ACV.

Lucy says:

Hello

I took apple cider vinegar to STOP and cure my panic attacks/social anxiety. :)

I also included Greenwich’s liver tonic, however it is the ACV that I noticed was great to take as I felt that stupid rush of uncontrollable emotions start to develop, I would take a swig mixed with water in my little recovery bottle.

My panic attacks, although mild for over 16 years, were intense enough around the age of 33-37 that I quit my work and lost my houses, as I could not let anyone see me panic which was very hard but I contracted to different places so I managed.

I hated how it was controlling me, so I researched like crazy, and like you came across Dr Max Gerson to save your own life (I actually found you last year). I came across the Gerson documentaries and pick up important information that I needed for my own life.

Today I do not have any bursts of panic attacks at all, and realised I am cured.

HOW IT HELPED ME:
When my liver was not working correctly the adrenaline produced caused my body to go into the ‘fight & flight mood’ over simple social situations. Apple cider vinegar helped my liver start to function correctly. Simply said it healed my liver.

I put down the bad health of my liver to childhood and taking antibiotics for tonsillitis, when really if my parents knew, ACV would have done the job right the first time. This obviously did damage to my liver that I had no idea about. It caused things like; PCOS (which is no cured), acne (which unfortunately I grew out of before discovering it).

Some other clinical signs of poor liver function that may go undiagnosed are: bad breath, hot feet, endometrioses.

I can also happily mention that I do not get anxiety anymore either, and I am loving it!!!!! (obviously I do NOT consume anymore energy drinks huge NO, or caffeinated beverages).

P.S. Look after your liver you just don’t realise how much of an influence it has on your life.

Lucy says:

OPPS: My PCOS is now cured! (not no cure, there definitely is a cure as I am a living example) no more cysts bursting how fantastic is that.

P.S.S. I am currently using the apple cider vinegar to elevate the period type pains I am experiencing after having a blastocyst embryo transferred 10 days ago. Now I do not know if this little sucker has stuck or not, but I am in a lot of pain, and ACV helps and although my research is giving me mixed messages of it being good for pregnant women, I am going with my gut instinct and taking it. I would like it be noted that I am only on IVF as I have no fallopian tubes due to ectopic x2 in my early 20’s. I know this liver cleanse helped the success rate of the health of my blastocyst eggs. Obviously I gave it to DH also. His sperm was so fighting fit that it fertilized 2 eggs twice (unfortunately that means they were ambushed). But of the 8 eggs that were perfect at day 3, 6 made it to blastocyst, which as a 75% success rate. I was only slightly stimulated as my clinic only intended on having one egg to transfer, but I was able to put 5 in the freezer. The standard rate my scientist told me is 30% and I obviously argued with him, as I did a lot of research to make my eggs and his sperm great and I proved him wrong. :) which I am sure he is smiling too.

Sheena says:

Hi Lucy, I appreciate your comment so much because I too suffer from many of the conditions you mentioned but I never thought they could be caused by such simple things in life. Everything you mentioned sounded exactly like me. I came to this site as I’m currently sick and need to get better quickly as I have a 6wk old baby but I got a whole lot more than I asked for. Thank you. And a big thank you to the wellness warrior too. Sheena x

Nicole says:

Hi Lucy! Thank you for your post about using ACV for anxiety.. Three weeks ago I started experiencing anxiety and panic attacks and I tried a prescription drug for 2 days and decided the side affects were worse than the anxiety so I started looking for something more natural and found this blog… Lucy, how long did it take to alleviate your anxiety after you started the ACV? How much were you taking a day for this? Thank you for your time,
Nicole

Kari says:

I have ACV first thing every morning in a glass of warm water. It kick starts my digestive system and gives me an instant energy boost.

pl.where to get ACV in India Near Delhi

Wendy says:

I’ve read “Never drink acv hot.”

Ken says:

Hey Wendy, what was the reason to not drink it hot? People drink it in warm water in the morning. How hot is too hot?

Tess says:

Ken, I would say just warm to the touch of your finger is warm enough; hot to touch and that would kill off the probiotics.

Tess says:

Worth noting: ACV is unrivaled when it comes to treating cold sores!!
I started using it as a topical treatment instead of standard cold sore cream or other natural remedies and found it is leagues ahead of the rest. My healing is 3 times faster! And my money goes to an ethical company. Wins all round :)

Shayrin says:

Some times it is difficult to buy Apple cider vinegar offline. The best place is to grab it from online store. Here is a good source to buy from.

anonymous says:

Does consuming ACV give you bad body door?

Marina says:

I just bought your book and finished it in 2 nights! Amazing!
Is it true that if u put a little ACV in some water and soak your fruits in it for like 30 min it will kill all the pectisides? Or at least in the skin of fruits?

Anon says:

I developed some weird acne or fungal thing on my chest as a consequence of constantly being in workout gear. After my shower yesterday i soaked a cotton pad in ACV and wiped the area with it as a toner and today its half healed !

Strand says:

I’m a very fit 30 yr old male, however that didn’t prevent me from developing the nightmare that is dermatitis which I’ve been dealing with for 10 months now. ACV literally cured it in a week! I’m on 6 tablespoons a day. Might cut it back to 3 for maintenance. Unbelievable

Evelyn says:

Hello I have started taking ACV. I have started eating clean as well. Wondering how long typically does it take to see results?

Ruben says:

Can you mix it with juice our something else besides water?

Amy Williams says:

I understand that AVC is very acidic so I’m curious about how we can consume something so acidic but it doesn’t seem to make the body too acidic (in a bad way). Jess, can you explain or offer some website articles to help me understand how this works? Thanks. Amy

Lance says:

I’m working on improving my diet this year and getting into a regular schedule of exercise. Late last year, I really noticed a significant drop in my energy, aches, pains and a number digestive problems. On your recommendation, I started two tablespoons of ACV in slightly warm water (16oz) with a tablespoon of organic honey, three times a day. Within two days, I felt considerably better. Two weeks later, I feel incredible. It’s hard to believe that something so simple and inexpensive works such miracles.

Jon-Jon Esguerra says:

I just buy ACV awhile ago to try the benefits manifested that i was read the comment of others, i hope you send it more details about how to used it…

Thanks hope to hear you soon…

Paulean says:

Hi how much water do I take with it and how many teaspoon to lise weight?
I have heard about on ebay about tablets to take of acv can someone please tell me about them as well
Thanks Paulean

Nikki S says:

Can drinking ACV make you jittery or cause a rapid heartbeat for a short period? This happened to me–scared me for a minute. Thanks!

Sunil says:

Very very beautiful site. Thanks for the info. Will try to apply them in daily life.

katie says:

ok just starting acv tonight! is it ok to take vitamins still? tia